75 Years in the Making
On the Move
1941 First year of Pioneer Girls camping in Michigan. 22 girls at a camp in White Lake, MI near Pontiac.
1952 Rented Camp Takona, Grass Lake, MI (camper fee - $17)
1958 Rented in Hillsdale, MI: Kimball Y.M.C.A. Camp (on Long Lake) (camper fee - $25).
1965 Tornado demolishes Hillsdale site.
1965-66 Rented Camp Maqua (Hale, MI).
And then there was HFCC!
1966 120 acres purchased from Volunteers of America for $57,000. Pioneer Girls of Michigan has its own camp after 25 years of renting. First week of girls camp held at new camp.
1967 400 campers attend girls camp.
1970 Kresge foundation grant provides for building a washhouse, the "Penobscot" (the "tallest" building in camp named after the tallest building in Detroit at the time) replacing outhouses on the Hill.
1971 Outside phone line brought in. "Pilgrims" moved from cabins to tents, freeing Ridge frame cabins for crafts, cooks and activities.
1972 Fire drill brings the Oscoda Fire Dept. - firemen thrown into pool. Pool party results!
1973 Land contract of $65,000 paid off. Praise God!
1975 Kresge grant opens the way for winterizing and remodeling existing buildings.
1980 The first Father-Daughter weekend.
1982 Boys Camp begins.
1991 Cedars area officially opens with a new bathhouse.
1992 Science Camp begins. New barn and stables.
1994 Pool Project construction underway with Phase 1: new Health Center.
1996 New Pool completed! Dedicated to God in special ceremony. Phase 2 completed.
1997 First BUILT (Boys Under Intense Leadership Training) class to graduate. Initiation of Team Elijah.
1999 Pool bathhouse (Niagara) opened. First FLIGHT (Fully Living In what God Has Taught) class to graduate.
2001 Dining Hall addition.
2005 1st phase of Penobscot bathhouse renovation started.
2007 1st phase of Penobscot bathhouse completed, 2nd phase started.
2008 All new Ridge housing & addition of The Grove hybrid cabins.
2009 Camp Cherith becomes Camp CedarRidge.
2012 HFCC Performing Arts Company launches it's first season with The Sound of Music.
2016 Re-started Land swap with the National Forest Service.
2016 Horse Camp improvements including new steel roof on barn and widening of riding arena.
2016 Celebrated 75 years of camping ministry!
2020 COVID-19 renews a focus on an intentionally safe camp environment physically, spiritually, and emotionally.